Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2014
Old 01-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Default Hamumu Dying Down

Well.. Hamumu's dying down.

(The following post is in no way supposed to offend Mike or his Business, Just a little suggestion to him.)

It's because it's pretty hard to discover Hamumu, and once you find it, and read "Clubhouse" and a puppy (Don't you dare take away yerfdog Jamul I'm just saying maybe a better appearance around him) they don't get the right message. Maybe little kids, but nowadays adults aren't allowing their kids to use the internet.

Anyway, the appearance doesn't matter all that much, but.. Advertising kind of does.

I asked a while back why Jamul didn't do something like AdSense, because it would give the site a big boost in traffic possibly. I don't recall what they said why he didn't do it.

That's my Opinion. If anyone takes it too hard on Jamul, fine, I'll delete it. But I haven't got on here as much because everyone's taking all their business to the RPG & Mafia threads. A while back, we used to talk about the actual games. But now it's just forum games.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Megadog
Still here.

Default Re: Hamumu Dying Down

I do agree that Hamumu is winding down, but it has been for a long time, and I feel any subsequent release would do it a world of good.

As for advertising, perhaps that is something we as a community should work on. Of course, we would need Jamul's permission to do so, but I think it would be a much more appropriate approach.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
darkguyhades
The Fourth Seal

Send a message via ICQ to darkguyhades Send a message via AIM to darkguyhades Send a message via Yahoo to darkguyhades Send a message via Skype™ to darkguyhades

I think a good way to promote new membership might be to see if Jamul could get his games on an online distributor. I know he's said before that he didn't want to use Steam, but Desura seems like it's very indie friendly. Maybe he could consider releasing his games there to promote new membership?
Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

The Humble Indie Bundle would help a lot! No idea how games get on there though. There hasn't been any new games from Jamul; Well, there HAS been, but their for Boyslife and don't even get posted on this site. That's why I can't wait for the Witch Game because it's actually going to be a real Hamumu game!

Still, people don't talk about the games like they use to. But that's because these flash games aren't something you really talk about. They're just a small, simple, straightforward, action platformer that are very self-explanatory.

I don't have too many ideas for marketing except for simple "spreading the word!" Like telling people about the site, put a link in your signature at another forum, etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Meh. Hamumu has had periodic surges and shortages of activity, we just happen to be currently experiencing a shortage. I don't see it dying down completely any time soon. I agree though, a membership promotion would be very useful, both for the business and the community. Bundles and steam both sound good, but I suppose it would be complicated to get involved in them. Then again, what do I know? I am not a game developer. In any case, this is a community I have strong feelings about and I would not want to watch wither away.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got a wacky idea:

Maybe we can help, not with anything already posted by Jamul, but with things WE make. We can make short games or videos with "inspired by hamumu" stamped somewhere in there and such sort.

like i said: wacky idea, not sure if it'll work but its out there.

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
seamonkey
spoon eater

Is it just me or are threads with this thesis almost annual now?
I'm honestly not sure whether there are surges and shortages, or whether we perceive it as being so, while activity remains *somewhat* (not absolutely per se), constant.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

I dont think that hamumu is dying dow. It has a core group of members (blackduck, atkins, megadog, ect) who might leave for a while but will always return. it was also commen for me to log in and be alone on the chat, not so now.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

atkins has.. well, we don't really know what happened to him. He's been active, as, he's been coming online. last time I checked, he came on oct31 2011. But all his stuff is down, example, hamupload, C.H.E.E.S.E. etc. etc.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
Megadog
Still here.

That doesn't make him inactive. SM's stuff has gone down before and he was still fully active THEN.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Hamumu is so totally NOT dying! I got directed to this site wanting to know who made all the cool games on Boys' Life's website. It sure ain't dead there- 3 of the top 4 games are made by Jamul, and the Pearls of Peril is sure to show up when they update the Most Popular list.

It would be nice to have those games here, though.

The Clubhouse is pretty sound, I think. The site's design is superb. I was a little confused about the "Dumb" everything, as that is very demeaning. The HamChat I think could use some improvement in that once a person logs on, and stays active, maybe a little halo or aura could be placed around the avatar. I find it rather depressing to attempt to Chat or say something funny and everyone who APPEARS to be logged in is locked in a race for Whose Computer Stays On Longest And Therefore Is On The Far Left And Would Seem To Be Here But Is Sleeping In Another Time Zone.

I do have to give it that, though. Hamumu has steadily gotten around. Calthax's sig says he's in CHINA. That's pretty impressive for an indie developer.

Maybe it is just a phase of traffic. I don't think the Website should change, and it definitely shouldn't have Advertisements, as the site and "Awesome" meter are advertisements in themselves, but yeah, Pewskeepski has it down, let's have a small link in other forums. SMALL, though.

Major Kudos to Jamul are deserved.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Location: In a survelince van outside your house watching you play mafia.
Send a message via Skype™ to texasjoshua

Coodos, to Wacodude. Sounds like a sound argument to me.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

I think Hamumu would have a lot more active membership if a large-scale game was released, such as the much-anticipated LL3 Easter Island, or maybe HappyPonyGate. Maybe even a CP pack.

I don't mean to diss Jamul, but I agree that I've seen a lot less people these days than I did before.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #14
Pac-Man
Where's Sledge Hammer in Dr.L?

From my side, "Hamumu" never motivated me to try other games with eventually getting more stuck to the forums. The only games I care about were the Adventures of Bouapha series and this one is (sadly) dead.

Last edited by Pac-Man; 01-21-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Pac-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #15
calthax
Karyian

Exclamation Re: Hamumu Dying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackodude View Post
Hamumu is so totally NOT dying! I got directed to this site wanting to know who made all the cool games on Boys' Life's website. It sure ain't dead there- 3 of the top 4 games are made by Jamul, and the Pearls of Peril is sure to show up when they update the Most Popular list.

It would be nice to have those games here, though.

The Clubhouse is pretty sound, I think. The site's design is superb. I was a little confused about the "Dumb" everything, as that is very demeaning. The HamChat I think could use some improvement in that once a person logs on, and stays active, maybe a little halo or aura could be placed around the avatar. I find it rather depressing to attempt to Chat or say something funny and everyone who APPEARS to be logged in is locked in a race for Whose Computer Stays On Longest And Therefore Is On The Far Left And Would Seem To Be Here But Is Sleeping In Another Time Zone.

I do have to give it that, though. Hamumu has steadily gotten around. Calthax's sig says he's in CHINA. That's pretty impressive for an indie developer.

Maybe it is just a phase of traffic. I don't think the Website should change, and it definitely shouldn't have Advertisements, as the site and "Awesome" meter are advertisements in themselves, but yeah, Pewskeepski has it down, let's have a small link in other forums. SMALL, though.

Major Kudos to Jamul are deserved.
Yes it is dying! Sometimes people might be so picky about Hamumu dying!
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

It's dying, yes. But we are not. We must stay strong for Jamul, for his games, and for this community. We will not be forced out by low attendance. We are friends, and in some cases family.
We are the free. We are the proud. We are the dumb.
We are the Hamumuians.

This inspirational message brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Cyberclone.

Last edited by cyberclone42; 04-11-2012 at 06:06 PM.
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

Send a message via Skype™ to fourwind

I don't come on here anymore really because I only came for the community. I enjoy his games very much but I do not own many of them. When people started leaving and some of my best friends got banned, I sorta started to migrate away. I became active on the minecraft forums until they started moderating my posts because I posted a video showing the grief that made the Afrikaans language very offensive. So I stopped posting there, not sure why i stayed for any period of time because everyone on the forum is bad and terrible, I actually had a hamumu member harass me because I mentioned Hamumu there in a thread, referring to the times I had here where my ideas died and then were brought back to life by others (Dumb dare anyone?).

But basically the reason I stopped posting here is other people stopped.
Which means the people leaving is actually a spreading thing, where people leave because others leave. I don't think new members are particularly the answer unless we can get a lot of people to join who all want to stay. I think the answer is simply people need to stop "getting on with their life" and still post on hamumu occasionally at the least.

/walloftext

fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
TyTBone
College Boi

Send a message via Skype™ to TyTBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
I think Hamumu would have a lot more active membership if a large-scale game was released, such as the much-anticipated LL3 Easter Island, or maybe HappyPonyGate.
Nothing new here to be said here, but I'd agree with this. Even if it meant just starting something over the summer to entice us...

I'd think Kid Mystic 2 probably has the best chance of being made, but another LL or AoB game would probably generate more discussion.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Honestly, Kid Mystic was not Hamumu's best game IMO. I think that honor goes to LoonyLand 2. The mechanics were perfect, the game was coherent, the music and graphics were wonderfully upbeat and cartoony, and the whole campaign was based on you. Kid Mystic was linear, slightly bland, and seemed like everything was a replay of previous levels.
Even if KM2 is the most likely game, I don't think it will get people very hyped.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #20
bowserfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
Honestly, Kid Mystic was not Hamumu's best game IMO. I think that honor goes to LoonyLand 2. The mechanics were perfect, the game was coherent, the music and graphics were wonderfully upbeat and cartoony, and the whole campaign was based on you. Kid Mystic was linear, slightly bland, and seemed like everything was a replay of previous levels.
Even if KM2 is the most likely game, I don't think it will get people very hyped.
You're forgetting the difficulty in LoonyLand 2 was pretty unbalanced at places. Sometimes you have to level grind to actually get past something (yes I'm looking at you Toy Factory)