Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2014
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

Send a message via Skype™ to fourwind
Default So I had an Idea

One of the games I love most on Hamumu is one I have yet to really be a part of, because of how difficult it is to get to the ends.

The Maze of Ludicrosity.

I thought the idea of a player edited puzzle/item collecting dungeon was ridiculously clever and inventive, and I thought it would be interesting to create something similar, but on a large scale. Basically, maze of ludicrosity with more features such as multiple mazes, themed mazes, achievements and User owned mazes.

There is two main problems with this currently, the first I can solve on my own.
I need to learn HTML. It shouldn't be incredibly difficult, but it will be time consuming. Especially since my experience with C++ has taught me that I am not creative with programming, I have trouble understanding how functions go together to do anything.
The second, is I would probably need permission from Jamul to complete such an idea since he originally thought up the concept.

The game would be a website where you sign up for an account, are presented with a list of mazes and then you jump in. There will be main mazes with voids and what not, some with themes and some without. There will then be mazes that cannot be edited, but will be updated with new puzzles and what not. And then there will be player made mazes, I am not sure how to go about letting players create mazes. They will probably have a certain amount of voids to fill up. Another problem is hosting costs, I don't know anything about how much a website costs or how I would support a game I will probably be giving for free.

So does anyone believe this to be a good idea? I don't believe I know of people who would be interested in it besides you guys at first, so I'm asking you.

fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian Send a message via Skype™ to Julian
Default Re: So I had an Idea

For your first problem, it's a bit more than that. You need to know HTML, yes, but you also need to know a preprocessor (PHP or ASP, PHP is better in my opinon) and SQL. You could probably run it all off a free, non ad-supported host if you wanted to, but if enough people started playing you'd need to get paid hosting.

As for your second point, ideas are inherently free. So long as you didn't name it "Maze of Ludicrosity" there would be no legal problems. It would be nice to give a shout-out to Jamul somewhere, but even that wouldn't be necessary.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Cool idea, but isn't the current maze ludicrous enough? Impossible riddles, gallivanting about collecting one item for use at the opposite end of the maze...you just need to look harder and make a map.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Send a message via Skype™ to SpaceManiac

Phil Hassey already did something like this as a cover of MoL for a Mini-LD - its name is Maze of Madness and can be found on the Galcon website (no link because I seem to remember there being some inappropriate stuff). Maybe it'll satisfy your needs or provide further inspiration.
SpaceManiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

Send a message via Skype™ to fourwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackodude View Post
Cool idea, but isn't the current maze ludicrous enough? Impossible riddles, gallivanting about collecting one item for use at the opposite end of the maze...you just need to look harder and make a map.
I do quite believe that it is ludicrous as is, but I am talking about a similar game with themed user created mazes as one of the main hooks. Ludicrosity is fine and all, but there is nothing wrong with a little order. For instance, remember the Halloween maze? I managed to make several rooms there, but the whole bloody place was filled to the brim with dolls of all sorts. That isn't just ludicrous, its quite boring and in the offensive version of the term, dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
Phil Hassey already did something like this as a cover of MoL for a Mini-LD - its name is Maze of Madness and can be found on the Galcon website (no link because I seem to remember there being some inappropriate stuff). Maybe it'll satisfy your needs or provide further inspiration.
Moderation of that must be a real pain in the neck, offensive text can easily be searched for and redacted, offensive imagery must be viewed by an actual human being. Also after seeing this I think I still want to make some sort of user created maze/puzzle type thing, but with a new concept since this kinda beats what I had in mind besides the moderation problems.

Last edited by fourwind; 04-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote