Old 05-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
cyberclone42
Pilltacular!

Default Re: Hamumu Dying Down

>Toasties
>Run around
>Snipe
>Take cover from bombs
Problem solved. It made you think, not level grind.
POOT POOT POOT POOT POOT
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #22
Redbone
Wanted

Send a message via Skype™ to Redbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
Even if KM2 is the most likely game, I don't think it will get people very hyped.
Any 2.5D game would get people hyped at this point.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #23
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Another thing I think would help is if Hamumu's games were more mod-friendly.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #24
cyberclone42
Pilltacular!

I can think of one

The sound and some of the graphics are easy to mod in most of his games.
I need to learn from Jamul how to edit some other stuff in CP, though.
POOT POOT POOT POOT POOT

Last edited by cyberclone42; 05-12-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #25
Redbone
Wanted

Send a message via Skype™ to Redbone

A lot of the games are pretty mod friendly, especially the games where the source code is public.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #26
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Send a message via Skype™ to SpaceManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
A lot of the games are pretty mod friendly, especially the games where the source code is public.
For those not in the know, Journal entry and "current" goings-on.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #27
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
>Toasties
>Run around
>Snipe
>Take cover from bombs
Problem solved. It made you think, not level grind.

Why do I feel like I didn't have toasties when I went through there...
I recall having to level grind a bit at that point too. Maybe to get some skill points to use the toasties? I don't remember.

It was tough. And Grindy.

Also: Maybe Hamumu wouldn't be 'dying' if the main discussion topic wasn't 'Hamumu is dying'.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 05-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #28
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

I know I've only been back for a day but, from what I can see, I think the main reason some people say Hamumu's dying is because, well, it just doesen't look like there's anything really "happening" in the community. Back when I was properly "around" there used to be lots of posts and stuff and the like. There were always new threads, forum games/RPGs, contests, discussions, a fairly vibrent Mafia community, and new levels on CP were actually made sometimes! Taking a glance at the recent posts, I feel like none of that really happens anymore. Forgive me if I'm wrong about this but, all that seems to be happening right now is the general TM forum spam/spammish games, and Mafia. (Actually there is Dice RPG. At least it's something! Also, speaking of spammish TM games, it looks like Counting died? Did they reach 9999 yet?) This may also explain why some of the community has left. I don't think Jamul's got anything to do with what's happening - the community was still much livelier before when he was making Flash games. The people who really need to do something about it is the community itself. If you're concerned about Hamumu dying, then do something about it! That is my honest opinion. I am fine if you disagree with it.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #29
Megadog
Actually, it's Demagogue now

That's precisely what I've been trying to say. Thank you FR.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #30
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Before you read, take note that I'm not saying that Jamul is ruining the community or that he has to do anything to 'fix it'. I'm just saying that somebody has to do something more than just trying to talk about nothing on the forums. And now, here's the:
TL;DR: Forum Content does not generate Forum Community. Forum Community generates forum content.

There is one problem with relying on the Members of the Community to keep it going: Everyone would have to participate and work to keep it going, and that's getting to be less fun and more work. And honestly, there are much funner places I can go to do Forum type stuff anyway. Making forum-based activity on the forums.... Is just silly.

Nothing we do simply on the forums is going to magically breath life back into the community.

What would get the community going again is if some new exciting thing happened that people could talk about.

Example: If some member begins an ambitious Hamumu-Fan project(Or if Jamul started working on something epic). People would talk about it, discuss developments, make suggestions, and of course discuss the project when it's finished, whatever it may be. But it needs to be something that people are interested in AND can talk more than a few sentences about. Best move on from this point before I get off topic talking about the shortness of interest in flashgames.

While people visit to see the updates, discuss, speculate, complain about, etc. on whatever is being done they'd flow into the other sections of the forums, and increase activity there. Then the other people who don't so much care about 'whatever it is' will float in and fill in the gaps, and bam. You've got a community running again.

You just need -something- besides forum stuff to draw people in... The Forum Games and other conversations come after that.

And that's my opinion, right or wrong I don't know.
Here's some extra ranting in the form of deconstructing Felix's post:

Quote:
I know I've only been back for a day but, from what I can see, I think the main reason some people say Hamumu's dying is because, well, it just doesen't look like there's anything really "happening" in the community.
Yep.

Quote:
Back when I was properly "around" there used to be lots of posts and stuff and the like. There were always new threads, forum games/RPGs, contests, discussions, a fairly vibrent Mafia community,
Yeah, back when people used to visit to learn about the Next Big Thing on Hamumu, like HPG, or LL Tactics, or Daibaka Max, or other stuff. People aren't going to keep coming back to do stuff they can do elsewhere, playing mafia with the same people can get stale. You'd be better going off finding a large, more active community that is more based on that.
Quote:
and new levels on CP were actually made sometimes!
'Everything has been done already.' There's just not much left to do in CP... Making new levels would involve basically recycling old levels.
Side-Note: A new CP pack would not be a viable way to revitalize the community. It just wouldn't draw people back in. Though it might be something to think about later, once the flock has returned.
Quote:
Taking a glance at the recent posts, I feel like none of that really happens anymore. Forgive me if I'm wrong about this but, all that seems to be happening right now is the general TM forum spam/spammish games, and Mafia. (Actually there is Dice RPG. At least it's something!) This may also explain why some of the community has left.
You mean all that is left is the purely forum-based content. Yes, because there's not that much else to do around here. Except enjoy a slow trickling of fun flash games(I enjoy them for the most part anyway... Though they lack replayability)
Quote:
I don't think Jamul's got anything to do with what's happening - the community was still much livelier before when he was making Flash games.
Jamul has everything to do with what has happened... This site is about his games after all. As to why the community was slow to die down, the flash games were fun, are fun still. People could discuss the Robot Wants series. It was fun. There was still hope that a new 'large' project would be underway at some point... But slowly people took the hint, Jamul isn't planning any big 'surprises'. The community slowly dwindled away.
Also, remember when that british dude was making a Spooky Castle series? What ever happened with that? I don't know, but it was exciting for the couple of weeks that I had hoped something would happen with it.

Quote:
The people who really need to do something about it is the community itself. If you're concerned about Hamumu dying, then do something about it! That is my honest opinion. I am fine if you disagree with it.
My counter arguement to this is the main part of this post.
Questions, comments, complaints. Send me a PM.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 05-17-2012 at 10:31 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #31
Megadog
Actually, it's Demagogue now

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Also, remember when that british dude was making a Spooky Castle series? What ever happened with that? I don't know, but it was exciting for the couple of weeks that I had hoped something would happen with it.
I thought I was the only one who was still checking up on them!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #32
TyTBone
College Boi

Send a message via Skype™ to TyTBone

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Jamul has everything to do with what has happened... This site is about his games after all. As to why the community was slow to die down, the flash games were fun, are fun still. People could discuss the Robot Wants series. It was fun. There was still hope that a new 'large' project would be underway at some point... But slowly people took the hint, Jamul isn't planning any big 'surprises'. The community slowly dwindled away.
Pretty much this, imo. I've realized most of what I do on here now (when I show up) is complain, but I (probably pointless) hope is that reiterating these points may help him to consider, "You know what? A new LL or Boupaha game is needed! Let's do it!" And we'd get all excited and involved again, like w/ HPG.

It really is based around his games (7 out of the two sections are devoted to them), mainly the big, pricey, "epic" games that people have enjoyed so much. But even as big as SwC is, the game is coming up on it's 10 year anniversary (hey, THERE'S a project; ~1 1/2 year SwC add-on, for August 2013; Jamul, if you start a new LL or Bouapha game and promise to finish it by August 2013, we'll start an enormous add-on for SwC, and finish it at the same time, too). (It came out before Half-Life 2, WoW, Doom 3, Oblivian, etc.) Eventually interest wears off; there hasn't been a new add-on in months, I believe. *Checks* Latest: 10/31/11.

To Jamul: We have really enjoyed your games; everyone has a favorite. Those of us who have been here for so long (some on and off, now) are still cleaving to hope that you'll find a way to make a new Loonyland or Bouapha game (Kid Mystic if you'd prefer, even), and make it commercially viable. We want to give you our money, and (at least I do) see the saga between Dr. L and Bouapha wrapped up. (That HH video was great, but it's still not a game...) We may be naive youngins from around the world, but we want to make this happen. Kickstarter has been bringing old franchises back to life lately; can you find a way to do the same?
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #33
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

And once again, the melodramatic 'Hamumu is dying' thread turns into the 'Tell Jamul how to run his business' thread. There's an anology about boats and stuff, but I don't know. The point is that Jamul has been 'man, community is nice but gamemakery enjoyment comes first' in more Jamuly speeach.

Also Tybone just make the Kickstart talking thread already instead of spreading it out over multiple threads or something? Especially since 'Hamumu dying' isn't a thread peeps are compelled to read for content?

edit: oh wait he did but er hamumu friend way to say the thing? anyhow it stopped when I pointed out TM wasn't good for meaningful conversation.

Last edited by hyperme; 05-18-2012 at 09:33 AM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
And once again, the melodramatic 'Hamumu is dying' thread turns into the 'Tell Jamul how to run his business' thread. There's an analogy about boats and stuff, but I don't know. The point is that Jamul has been 'man, community is nice but gamemakery enjoyment comes first' in more Jamuly speeach.
Actually, acquiring the necessary funds for life comes first. I'm just thinking of ways that we might be able to have Bouapha, Dr. L, etc. reappear while Jamul can continue making a living. Nothing wrong with suggestions.

I'm not so blind as to not realize we've gone round and round with this stuff a million times over, but I want to occasionally reiterate or come up with new ideas in the hopes that something may blossom.

Edit: Well speak of the rascal itself! http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23592

Last edited by TyTBone; 05-18-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #35
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

I've been thinking about it, and you know what, I really don't think Jamul needs to make a 'big' game at all. The only thing I like about his old games over his new ones is the style. Ever since Jamul has been making flash games, his style has changed quite a bit. There's no longer any of those cute 'toy-looking' graphics and straight forward action. But that's not the only thing; his games use to have adorable zombies, skeletons, and other frightening monsters that weren't actually frightening at all. Like I said, they're just plain cute. But now his games feature a donkey who delivers the mail (which just doesn't thrill me nearly as much), where as his old games had goofy looking humans fighting against evil monsters in hopes to save the world!

So I really do believe that Jamul doesn't have to make a big game. He should just make games like he use to. Because, seriously, when I play his new games, I always wonder "What happen to the brains? Where's the titans, the skeletons, and the evil cows? And where are the Happy Stick people?!!?!".

And, btw, stayed tuned; I've got something planned
Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

The Donkey-Throwing-Mail shtick is Pedro the Mailburro, the Mascot for Boys' Life Magazine, and yeah, the games are sort of not all that "spooky", but he did have pirate squid in Pearls of Peril. I thought Pedro looked cute enough, though.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #37
cyberclone42
Pilltacular!

I for one appreciate the darker undertones and subtle mature references of Hamumu games, with the over-layer of happiness and bright colors. For example, there is an implied weed joke in LL2. For somebody that doesn't already know what the terms for marijuana are, they wouldn't get the joke at all and see it as a simple quest. Another example is that the Gear's description makes a Metal Gear Solid reference, and MGS is definitely not for kids. The spooky music in SWC also goes great with many levels trying to create a scarier atmosphere, and you can combine that with noises and dark lights to recreate a horror setting for more mature audience.
I think that if Jamul were to make another game like that, with a functional editor, then we'd be satisfied for a year to a year and a half. That's plenty of flash games to be made in that period.

Just another couple of cents.
Oh, and if this post gets censored due to my content, that's fine, I was just trying to make a point.
POOT POOT POOT POOT POOT
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #38
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Well, you know, SwC kept a strong flow of content for almost 10 years.
But you can't live on that alone really... Or maybe you can... But not as long as SwC lasted... Maybe...
Old 05-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #39
Androgeos Exeunt
Ancient Doormat

Send a message via MSN to Androgeos Exeunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewskeepski View Post
So I really do believe that Jamul doesn't have to make a big game. He should just make games like he use to. Because, seriously, when I play his new games, I always wonder "What happen to the brains? Where's the titans, the skeletons, and the evil cows? And where are the Happy Stick people?!!?!".
I am quoting this because I share the same opinion.

When I was a kid, Spooky Castle alone formed a core part of the middle part of my school years (Grade 4 to Grade 7). When I got to Grade 8, my waning interest in it was boosted by the downloads of SwC, LL1, SB and all the old freebies I found here after my family switched to a broadband connection. They, predominantly the SwC demo, would keep my interest in Hamumu up until the time I actually mustered the courage to figure out how to write and send a U.S. check from Singapore all the way to America just to buy the three games I wanted the most: SwC, KM and LL1. At that time, LL2 was already out, and the CE was still in circulation, but I did not like the feel of the game, which is why I chose LL1 over it; having made the same mistake seven years ago between two unrelated games that were published via eGames (which I still consider to be my greatest regret), I did not want to make the same mistake twice, because I knew it would be forever before I could ever buy stuff from here again.

Much of the old community was drawn here because of the classic 2.5D games that revolved primarily around Dr. Lunatic and Bouapha. They were almost always the central figures of the classic games; if they weren't, something close to them was (Pumpkin Pop! and Amazin' SPISPOPD centre around smashing pumpkins, which is what Bouapha originally did). The exception was Stockboy which, although not a part of the SPISPOPD continuity, looked roughly the same, with its fair share of quirks and features. The new games have almost no relation to the classic ones, with one exception. Costume Party worked to a small extent because it still had some traces of the SPISPOPD characters in it. However, it ultimately has no relation to the SPISPOPD continuity and contains only some of the characters from it, so it is still more of a completely different game with references to the classic ones.

Jamul stopped making the classic games because they ran off a game engine so old, "outdated" is a serious understatement, and until he can find a more modern replacement that is just as easy to work with, I am not confident that we will be seeing remakes or continuation of the SPISPOPD continuity any time in the near-future.

Considering that much of this community is still made up of players who prefer the classic games, it is no surprise that activity here has dropped so much as compared to, say, five years ago. What I actually think is happening is that the old community is still here; they're just lurking, like myself, because even though there is little to talk about, the mere presence of the classic games being sold still keeps us here (Just look at all the older members posting on this thread! ). However, in the same way that they are sitting on the shelves and gathering dust, so are we.
Last Invention: AK-9047 Light Cannon

Androgeos Exeunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #40
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androgeos Exeunt View Post
Both you and Pew say it better than I did, and far less whine-i-ly. :P